[Amps] DC On tube filaments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] DC On tube filaments
From: carlseye@tampabay.rr.com (carl seyresdahl)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:14:22 -0400
I don't know about "modern" tubes, but years ago, when many of you may have
been in diapers (or not yet born ?), we had many picture tubes, (in
television) that failed due to "open filaments " and we "repaired ' them
with "dc' on the filaments, along with judicious tapping on the side of the
tubes, after which the tubes would again function properly for sometimes
several years. !! Just another hint from "many years" past.; !!!
 as for the "military" tubes in the the R-392 , etc. there were many
examples of  DC on the filaments and no known failures , but then again the
"military " always changed tubes at a regular interval, which may have been
the reason for mimal failures !!!!! I know for I was there.. !! many , many
WWII  radios ran on "total dc".. !!!!!  (except for the dynamotors for HV. )
   carl / kz5ca