Fw: [Amps] How light can you make a 500W amplifier?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [Amps] How light can you make a 500W amplifier?
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:16:48 +0100
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
 To: 'Rich' <2@vc.net>; Alan Ibbetson <g3xaq@hotmail.com>; AMPS
 <amps@contesting.com>
 Sent: 14 October 2002 22:46
 Subject: RE: [Amps] How light can you make a 500W amplifier?

 > I don't believe a 1 kg power supply using a 6x multiplier at 50 Hz or 60
 Hz
 > is possible, at the current level required.  Unless someone invents
nearly
 > zero-mass large-value capacitors required by the multiplier, seems to me
 > 6x multiplier at any current level beyond a few mA is an inefficient
power
 > conversion method at 60 Hz line frequencies.
 Many years ago there was a design in a UK magazine using 3 x 4CX250s with
 voltage quadrupling off 240V mains - arranged to give +/- 700V so as to
 minimise the voltage offset to ground. I'd have to dig for it but I think
it
 met the designer's aim of 400W out on all bands.

 Apart from the weight problem with heatsinking, I'd look hard at solid
state - poor IMD mentioned earlier is not inevitable, and can result from
poor design and/or pushing the devices too hard. It's exactly the same with
tubes.

 Steve