[Amps] TL-922A questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] TL-922A questions
From: les99a@rconnect.com (Les Severson)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:48:33 -0500
Hi Guys,
I purchased a TL-922A recently and found it has a problem.. Can anyone
help me
figure out what's going on?
The first time I fired it up (using a TS-830S to drive it)  I made the
mistake of having
it in the SSB position once to measure the carrier output....  Started
to smell funny !
Bad idea !     Put it back in CW position and measured output with 200ma
drive at
about 600 watts..  Started to smell funny again.   Reduced drive to
100ma and
it seems to behave with only about 500 watts output.  (peak reading
meter)
My first thought was (and still is)  that one of the tubes was shot...
Having no way to test the 3-500z's and before I invest in new tubes,  I
need some
expert advise.   Does this sound like a bad tube to you guys?

I'm running it with on it's own 240VAC circuit and driving it with a
TS-830S.  I can
tune to perfect swr with my Matchbox and balanced fed antenna.

I took the bottom off and observed that both tubes have filaments lit..
( I have heard that
there is a problem with high filament voltage with these amps and intend
on making the modifications that Rich Measures recommends.)    Nothing
appears
to have been burned.  All looks clean and normal...   Where could the
smoke been coming from?    I'm getting a little soured on this rig
because the guy I bought it from
swears the tubes were good and then I find out after spending  $1k that
I should make
all these modifications..   Anyway,  it's a solid, great LOOKING rig..
hi
Thank you for reading my plea  !   Hoping to hear from you !   73,
Les,  WØOJH