[Amps] Why do people post to individuals and AMPS ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why do people post to individuals and AMPS ?
From: drkirkby@ntlworld.com (Dr. David Kirkby)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:05:39 +0100
wl fuqua wrote:

>          There are two reasons,
> 1.  The buttons available on most email programs are:
>          Reply to sender
>          Reply to all
>          forward.

True, but it does not take a lot of effort to remove one. Most list I subscribe
to have the 'From:' field set as the list name, rather than the individual
sending it. When using newsgroups, which I personally find easier to use than
mailing lists, hitting 'Reply' sends to the newsgroup.

> 2. Many filter incoming mail to read at later time. So if you have reply to
> someone's email and you want that person  to read it immediately and also
> post it
> to the list you reply to all.

True. Most people leave the bit at the top that says 'person X wrote' so one
could filter on that if one really wanted to. I just tend to check for the same
headers as the subjects I'm interested in.

> If you get a duplication it means that someone wants to make sure you read
> it right away.
> Or you have subscribed twice.

I've got your message twice, but only since you sent it to me and the list. I'm
assuming you will be able to read this with me only sending it to the list.

It appears I have a minority view, so I won't press it. It just seems a waste of
bandwidth for virtually all messages to go to a list, then to an individual who
reads the list.
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,