[Amps] Regulated HV?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Regulated HV?
From: dcoolica@planet.eon.net (Denis)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:46:46 -0700
Kim, I have run these HV regulators the regulate the HV DC voltage by
automatically adjusting the AC primary sinewave input.  The voltage regulation
was great.  It was around +/- 5 volts on a 4 KV supply from no load to full
load.  It is great when you have a HV transformer that has poor voltage vs
current characteristics.

On the down side one has to shield this regulator circuit has it can produce
different birdies on the band.  Also I found that there are a lot of
components and the reliablility tends to drop for the overall power supply.
Since the amplifiers that I had these regulators on where being used in
contest conditions I went with the minimum parts count and focused on better
transformers - that is transformers that had minimium sag when the load was
applied.

The circuit that I used used driver SCRs driving larger SCR's and regulating
the AC sinewave (both sides) at the zero crossing points.

Denis Ve6AQ