[Amps] troubleshooting a sb200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] troubleshooting a sb200
From: sjwoodr@yahoo.com (Steve Woodruff)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:06:47 -0800 (PST)
A few have asked me so here are some more details:

GRID: 0 @ rest, ~60 @ tx 40m
PLATE: 0 @ rest, ~285 @ tx 40m
HV: 2200 @ rest, 1850 @ tx 40m

On all bands, Grid and Plate are zero
at rest.  Not sure if its the meter
or an indication of something more
serious...?

I tune for max output, measured with
an external meter (HM-102).  The current
dip and max output don't coincide exactly,
but close.  I can't get the plate current
anywhere near 500 mA.

At 7060 khz i get under 1.1:1 swr when i
use just my rig -> meter -> antenna.
When i measure the swr with the sb-200
in-line, i get just over 1.1:1 and still
over 120w forward.  When i let the amp
kick in, i get a hair over 1.5:1 swr and
the power drops down to about 75w forward.
External meter then shows about 300w to
the antenna and a little over 1.5:1 swr.

Both tubes light up... maybe one is a hair
brighter than the other, but maybe its
just a smudge on my glasses.  :)

Thanks for any assistance...

Steve, N9OH