[Amps] Relay contact burnisher

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Relay contact burnisher
From: w4ihk@mindspring.com (Dean Craft)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:00:21 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: MorgusMagnificen@aol.com <MorgusMagnificen@aol.com>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 12:13 PM

>Many years ago Western Electric made and distributed a variety of contact
>burnishing tools, which were a valuable commodity in the era of
>relay-switched telephone systems. I am urgently trying to locate one of
those
>tools, particularly one with a skinny blade that I can get down into a
>cramped area where I have a funky relay that is a nightmare to remove.
>
>I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows where there are some of
>these laying around for sale or ????
>
>Eric von Valtier  K8LV

If you do not find the tool that you are seeking, an old field favorite of
mine is thin strips cut from brown paper bags.  Some grocery stores still
use them in packing up your purchase.  Force the relay closed with a strip
inserted between the contacts and gently pull the strip.  You will be amazed
at how much 'gunk' will be removed!  Don't use the 'sandwich' type
bags...too much oil in them.

Dean --  W4IHK