[Amps] LP filter effects

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LP filter effects
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:27:44 -0800
Steve Thompson wrote:

> > the diodes in the meter may generate harmonic energy themselves.

> I think they don't - I failed to find measurable harmonics when I tried
> looking, and Peter Chadwick found the same. I think he tested at higher
> power than the 800W I had.

I guess it depends on the design of the meter.  The old-style 'monimatch' type
with parallel conductors definitely did generate harmonics, and was known to
cause TVI, hence the suggestion to put it in the line before the filter.  The
Brune-type circuit using a toroid which is common today possibly doesn't do
this.  Thanks to UHF TV and cable I don't worry about VHF harmonics so much any
more!

Vic K2VCO