[Amps] Re: AB1 v. AB2

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: AB1 v. AB2
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 17:21:42 -0800

>> >Separate minus voltage power supply fed via high impedance (resistors) to
>> >prevent loading down the drive voltage...
>> >
>> **  What stops DC grid-current from flowing through such resistors
>> whenever the grid is driven positive?
>
>The grid current that flows is so insignificant that no appreciable current
>*can* flow, so the tube does not reach beyond AB1 in practical terms.

**  Eimac rates the maximum permissable grid bias ps source resistance
for its tetrodes and pentodes.  This determines how much grid-current can
flow.  In my experiences with AB1, there is a tradeoff in IMD when grid
current flows -- i.e., the amplifier is driven into AB2.
-  The argument that high resistance is used to prevent loading down the
drive voltage does not hold water because, in RF service, the typical
grid-terminating resistance is 50-ohms (or 200-ohms through a 1:4
transformer) in order to present a 50-ohm termination for the radio.

>In practice the output signal is merely clipped when it reaches the point
>where in an AB2 amp grid current would start to flow.

**  Would ?   The reality is that some grid current Does flow and IMD
increases.

>A good example of an audio amp like this is the good old Dynaco Stereo
>70... the schematic of it and the MkII, MkIII and Mk IV which are all
virtually identical
>circuits are on the
>web I am sure. Guarranteed this amp will not run into AB2 no matter how much
>signal you put in the front end... : -)

**  I can not believe that no grid current will flow when the amplifier
is overdriven.

>If I get around to it, I guess I'll have to look and see what Bill Orr had to
>say about this topic with respect to RF amps... I'm guessing there is some
difference in the
>circuit requirements in general, but honestly I can't recall anything about
it at the
>moment.

** I recall nothing Orr wrote about this subject.

>In the end, if the amp can be run into grid current, then it is by
>definition an AB2 amp,
>no matter how you cut it.

-  indeed