[Amps] resistor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] resistor
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:06:35 +0000
John T. M. Lyles wrote:
>For HV "glitch" resistor, avoid wirewound construction, both in the
>sand packages or in the big tubular ceramics, for 5 kV 1 Amp and higher
>supplies. Carborundum is the best way to go, if you can get them from
>Kanthal Globar or whoever they are called now. You can find them
>surplus sometimes, check around Fair radio and others.
>
>Inductive wirewounds are basically an air solenoid, and if you force a
>lot of current through it, the winding will collapse due to EMF. Also,
>they sometime will just track over the length in a burst of flame with
>too much HV.

I've "seen" both of those, when providing remote diagnostics for people
using my Triode Board without an effective surge resistor. In one VHF
amp, the air-wound RF choke was completely crunched up by the magnetic
field created by the surge. In a YC1556 amp, the glitch resistor wasn't
long enough for the very high voltage, and had tracked from end to end
(but no flames in that particular case).

>If you can use a string of resistors might get by with carbon types.

Has anyone tried a typical dummy load resistor (usually carbon film on
ceramic)? The long, thin shape is right... here in England we call them
"cricket stumps".

Happy Holidays, all!

(CU in a few days)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'