[Amps] KVAR Caps Rating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] KVAR Caps Rating
From: MorgusMagnificen@aol.com (MorgusMagnificen@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:23:47 EST
You better take another look at the data. You will find that the KVAR ratings
for the large doorknobs is more like .5-1KVAR at RF. The maximum current
rating at 1MHZ is only approx. 2A. How well is this going to play on 10M?
The assumption of a 1/f maximum current dependence is not quite true, as I am
finding out as I study this issue. The 1/f rule is fine for skin-effect
related metallic conductors, but the dielectric losses are considerably more
complex.

This whole issue of high-power capacitor ratings has bothered me for some
time and I hope to have some new information to share in the near future.
Manufacturers data is quite scant, leaving us to do a lot of guessing.

Eric von Valtier K8LV

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---