[Amps] New 4-1000A and New Amp design in works

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] New 4-1000A and New Amp design in works
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:06:22 -0800
>I just received a new AMPEREX 4-1000A today from RF Parts. These tubes are
>great and hope to never see a Triton tube again. These are made by a
>company in France called Covimag and have massive graphite plates with a
>very sturdy mounting that is less susceptible to binding out of axis if
>they are dropped in shipping.

Triton needs to send one of their engineers to enroll in a sheet metal
shop class.  I took one and we learned that good spotwelds are not sound
unless they look like some of the metal has melted.  In other words, a
real pretty weld is really pretty weak.  The solution is to increase the
spotwelder current (and/or increase the weld-time)until the weld looks
nasty.

>Eimac tubes are still good if you can find them

Varian-Eimac glass-envelope tubes which were manufactured in Salt Lake
City often had the weak spotweld problem.  Eimac-San Bruno tubes did not.

> but avoid Penta

The Penta tubes I tested that were made in China did not have the weak
spotweld problem.

>or ETL and
>Triton tubes. Also, I have had no trouble with very old RCA 4-1000A tubes
>either (all I have were made in the 60's).

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end