[Amps] Reducing Ameritron AL-800H blower noise?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Reducing Ameritron AL-800H blower noise?
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Sun Jan 26 13:30:53 2003

>Rich-
>
>The silastic /spacer idea is going in my hints and kinks file.  Thanks!

ur welcome

>On another matter I have an Alpha 89 which has been a dog since birth.
>I have an Alpha 86 which has been a prince.
>
>The Alpha 89 has been a tube killer.

Do you have any kaput tubes from the 89?

> Alpha's story was that Eimac
>forgot how to me the 800 tube for a while after their transformation.

It's always the other company's fault.

>Eimac replaced the tubes twice, to their credit.

Eimac does not check tubes for gold sputtering damage.

>The amp first somehow
>blew its 30m input coil ( I don't think I ever ran it on 30m and used a
>50w "max" setting on my 1000MP). At that point--maybe after 100 hours of
>use--Alpha found the tubes to be delivering far less than rated power
>and Eimac replaced them.

When gold is sputtered off of the grid, it deposits gold on the cathode
-- which poisons emission.  Gold sputtering is caused by vhf/uhf
parasites.

>All was well with the new tubes for about half
>a year and the amp seemed normal, but I had started to notice the amp
>had to be driven harder and harder (still less than 50w).

Eureka !

>After talking
>with Alpha I mailed the tubes back, they mailed them to Eimac--who found
>some sputtering in the tubes which they said indicated they were being
>overdriven-

Overdriven at HF can not cause gold sputtering.  AT UHF, maybe.

>-who after a delay for a manufacturing run replaced them.  By
>this time I had put an AL1500 into the main operating position and did
>not use the Alpha for a few months.  When I fired it up even when
>running into a dummy load and with no drive supplied it would trip with
>an excessive SWR indication.  In speaking with Alpha they described
>trouble with the connection to the output connector which would results
>in this type of behavior.  I looked for the misalignment they described,
>found none,

chortle

>put the amp back together and fired it up.  It worked
>perfectly on all bands except 10/12 meters.  There, with maybe 10 watts
>drive, I could see the grid current, I could see the output going to
>more than 1.5kw and the grid current up into the yellow zone.

Sounds like oscillation.

>I parked the amp with the intent of talking to Alpha again and most
>likely taking the agonizing step of packing the beast for a trip back to
>Alpha--or another shop.

The fix can be done at home.

>I am starting to wonder if the constant trail of sorrows with this amp
>could be caused by a parasitic oscillation or something similar.  Or
>from my vague description do you have a informed guess?

I agree with your guess.  Hi-potting the tubes will give the answer.

>I have been very pleased with the old '86 which is still on the original
>tubes, though they are a little tired.  Do you have any insight into
>Eimac, other suppliers, and the status of 3cx800's in general?

3cx800A7s have xtraordinarily high UHF amplification.  Mo' is not always
mo' betta.

> I USED
>to think I would prefer an amp using them instead of what I viewed as
>the fragile and expensive 8877, but I am beginning to change my mind.
>Bob W2WG

Low Q vhf/uhf parasite suppressors should never be used in an oscillator.