[Amps] Speaking of filaments...& regulation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Speaking of filaments...& regulation
From: shr at medinaec.com (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon Feb 3 23:53:15 2003
While the ferro-resonant transformer seems like a good idea
at first--there are some issues.  The main thing is that they
work at a single line frequency.  So you can't use only one
transformer for 50 and 60 Hz.  And they show reverse
regulation with variable frequency line voltage from generators.
Plus they are relatively bulky and expensive.

A more viable solution -- is active regulation with a Triac
and an RMS detector.

But this means that the vast majority of hams would have to
pay for something they don't need just to aid the few that
have out of spec AC line regulation.

Life is a balance between what is realizable and what is
affordable.  Get used to it.    ;-)

John   W0UN