[Amps] Filament voltage regulation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Filament voltage regulation
From: wc6w at juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Thu Feb 6 23:11:11 2003
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:15:08 EST MorgusMagnificen@aol.com writes:
> Interesting that this recent discussion of filament supply regulation
is
> taking place at exactly the same time that I have a new amp project
under
> way. When I went to the parts cupboard for a filament transformer, the
> cupboard was bare! So rather than go out and actually buy a transformer
(it
> is mind boggling how much those have escalated in cost) I have decided
> build an electronic regulator and use a non-standard low voltage
transformer.
> I will use a full-wave triac bridge with a zero-crossing integral cycle
duty
> cycle controller for virtually noiseless switching.

Hi Eric,
   Just a suggestion...

   I have an old article (Power Conversion & Intelligent Motion, May
1988, pp76-78) that details a "linear" regulator for a similar
application.  It has a diode bridge circuit connected in series with the
primary of the transformer with a transistor connected across that
bridge.  The control circuit is built around a dual op-amp.

   The application shown was for regulating a 220V line at the 1KW level.
 Claimed 4% regulation over that range.

   I don't have a scanner but, if you are interested, and can't run the
article down, send me an SASE and I'll Xerox (well... actually Sharp) it
for you.

73 & Good evening,
   Marv  WC6W   310 649 3111

*