[Amps] Question on Ameritron amp wattmeter circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Question on Ameritron amp wattmeter circuit
From: sentek at sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Sat Feb 8 17:47:09 2003
Many thanks to all who replied on this question.  I adjusted the trimmer cap
for minimum reflected power on 28 MHz, and it definitely was out of
adjustment.

I finally located my 1975 edition of W6SAI's "Radio Handbook".  He discusses
the bridge circuit in detail and then goes on to describe the
"reflectometer" circuit, which is  the scheme used in the Ameritron.  In the
final paragraph, he explains how to adjust the capacitor in question.  It's
interesting that in his reflectometer the toroid goes over a piece of coax,
and also used a cylindrical can over the toroid as a faraday shield.  I
suppose those precautions would make the sensor more frequency independent?
In the Ameritron, the toroid simply surrounds a single unshielded conductor
running from the T/R relay to the RF output connector.  I note quite a
difference in power readings between the internal wattmeter and my external
wattmeter on the higher bands.

K8AC