[Amps] 8877 tube socket

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 8877 tube socket
From: kb7ww at easystreet.com (Arthur Moe)
Date: Tue Feb 11 03:38:26 2003
Noll

Why not roll your own and save $$$$$.  The socket itself is the same socket
that was used by the 829, 3E29, 5894 and many others.  I have bought these at
swap meets for $.50 or less, then you need 4 ea. 1/2 inch spacers Brass or
Aluminum.  Next you need to come up with the Grid clips, these are made from
90 degree finger stock. I have found this material in different Military boxes
and have also re-formed flat finger stock. The trick here is to not bend it
with to small of a radius. Leave it at less than 90 degrees (outside) and let
the grid ring on the tube push it to the final angle.  This will insure that
there is a good mechanical connection to the grid. If you look at the following
link you can see all the details.

http://web.wt.net/~w5un/8877-1.htm

Better yet call EIMAC and have them send you this article and the one for the
220 mhz amp that W6PO designed.

By this method all you need to buy is the chimney. You can build
these also if you want to.

Art
KB7WW