[Amps] Solid State Amps Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid State Amps Question
From: stevek at jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue Feb 11 18:15:29 2003

> Greetings -
>
> I'm a newcomer to ham, and not quite ready for that kilowatt tube amp.
> (Tech class now, soon to be general)  I am looking for something in the
> 300
> to 500 watt range solid state for my HF work, and in the 100 watt range
> for
> 6 meters and 2 meters to get past the local simplex and repeaters.
>
> I've seen a few designs on very expensive motorola IC's but that's out of
> my reach.  Does anybody have any good ideas for low cost solid state amps?

        [Steve Katz]  Low cost, 500W and solid-state multiband don't go
together very well in the same sentence.   I'd go for the Ameritron 600W SS
amp for 1.8-30 MHz, and two separate 160W amps for 50 and 144 MHz, possibly
the TE Systems units.  Total investment would be lower than homebrewing,
unless one has an awfully well stocked junkbox. -WB2WIK/6