[Amps] Henry 2KD-5 Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 2KD-5 Question
From: hobbestg at voicenet.com (Hobbes)
Date: Wed Feb 12 11:26:17 2003
To the Group,

This past hamfest season I picked up a Henry 2KD-5 amplifier which I had
planned to "resurrect" during the winter.

The amp came without 3-500's which didn't bother me as I have a few
spares.  It came with only a portion of the instruction manual.  Before
installing the tubes I wanted to see if the amplifier was operational.
I looked at the power line terminal strip connections to ascertain if
the amp was wired for 115 VAC or 230 VAC.  The jumpers were in such a
position unlike those in the instruction manual.  I decided to connect
them for 230 VAC operation, by jumping pins 3 and 4 on the terminal
strip.  Now here is where my problem arose.  When I turned the amp on,
I got an indication of HV on the panel meter and the red pilot lamp on
the front panel was on.  However the blower did not operate. I turned
off the amp to see if the blower was jambed.  It was not.  If I remove
the two black wires going to the blower and power up only the blower
with 115 VAC from a couple of clip leads it works just fine.  What I
have of the schematic shows the blower to be in parallel with the red
pilot lamp, yet it does not run. Figure 1 in the instruction maual shows
a "green" wire going to terminal 2 for 230 VAC operation.  Inspection of
where the line cord comes into the back of this particular amp has the
"green" wire grounded to the aluminum angle which is part of the
cabinet.  Do I have the jumpers wired correctly and is the "green" wire
supposed to be connected to terminal #2 as shown in Figure 1 in the
instruction manual?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks for reading
my post.

                                        Ed   K2ZE