[Amps] 3-500Z filament

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z filament
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Wed Feb 19 05:11:25 2003
A better-than-original solder for resoldering 3-500Z pins is 6%-Ag/94%Sn
(221?C) silver-solder.  To use:
1.  remove original Pb/Sn solder with "solder-wick".
2.  apply liquid  Rosin  flux to inside of pin and to outside of unmelted
silver-solder.
3.  heat and flow solder into pin.
4.  remove rosin flux residue with alcohol or steel-wool.
//notes -- A large soldering iron is better for this job because it cuts
the time needed, thereby reducing the thermal stress on the glass/metal
seals.
- Acid-flux is good for some things, but not for soldering tube pins.

The main causes of melting solder out of 3-500Z pins are:  not oiling fan
bearings periodically and not enough cooling air velocity on pins 1 and 5
due to faulty design.

ciao, Guillermo.