[Amps] Power transformer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Power transformer
From: philk5pc at tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed Feb 19 18:33:35 2003

> I have an old Berkshire Transformer BTC-4905 It's putting out 3000 v on  110
> volt. But want to run it on 220 v. The way it's wired now. the two out side
> wires were the wires  being used  for what I thought was 220 v with the two
> wires in the center tied together. However when I put 220 v on the two out
> side leads I only get  about fifteen hundred volts. Any good tips on how to
> check the windings ? Are anyone know about this transformer? Thanks   Leon

If this is a normal dual-primary, the two windings go in parallel for 120 volts,
and
in series fro 240 volt operation. They must be hooked up in the correct phase
relationship, or the windings will buck each other, producing only half the
rated
secondary output. If you are getting 1500 volts out with 240 coming in, reverse
the leads on one of the primary windings and see if you don't get 3000 volts
out.

GL!
Phil, K5PC