[Amps] Tank Coil replacement with Toroid Core coil

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tank Coil replacement with Toroid Core coil
From: k7fm at teleport.com (COLIN LAMB)
Date: Thu Feb 27 14:12:44 2003
Toroids do not require a ferrite or iron powder core at all.  The necessary
characteristics of a toroid are simply that it is in the shape we call a
toroid.  The self-shielding characteristics of toroids are not dependent
upon the core.

For low frequencies, the advantage of the core is that it reduces turns
required - just as a ferrite or powder core reduces the number of turns of
a conventional coil.

As a lark, I prepared a portable field day station a few years ago.  It was