[Amps] 572B tubes replacements for 811A's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 572B tubes replacements for 811A's
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sat Apr 5 12:31:37 2003
Wynand wrote:
> I read in the forum about replacing 811a's with 572B's as a direct drop in
> replacement. Can it really be that simple. I have a Ameritron with three
> 811a's in it. Can I just swop the 811a's for 572B's?

It's that simple, but (in my opinion) pointless.

The 572 will not produce any more output than the 811A unless you
increase the plate voltage, which will have consequences for other
amplifier components.  Some people say they 'loaf' at the same power and
this means that they will last longer, but I strongly doubt that there
will be a significant imporvement.  And 572B's are more expensive than
811A's.

Vic K2VCO