[Amps] Re: PS project part2

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: PS project part2
From: K1LE at ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Fri Apr 11 01:46:58 2003
Lynn,

You might want to take a look at the circuit breaker to determine that it is
functioning properly.

I would try monitoring the primary current, such that you could measure and
hold the peak value after a trip. Circuit breakers are designed with various
time / overcurrent properties to meet different needs. Circuit breakers
found in a residential service panel often have two types of protection:
instantaneous and time delay.

Time delay protection begins it's timing cycle at 1x the breaker rating. At
this level the breaker would take a very long time to trip, if it tripped at
all. At 3x the breaker rating, I usually expect a trip in ~ 40 - 60 seconds.

Instantaneous protection covers low Z faults. This function is often set to
pick-up at ~ 10x the breaker rating, with no intentional time delay when
that current level is reached. I've seen some molded case breakers that had
instantaneous function only. On this type of breaker, one must keep in mind
that tripping will occur as soon as the set point is reached.

Molded case circuit breakers are a rather simple and crude device. I've
tested a lot of them and identified a good number of bad ones. This is why I
recommend a "peak lock" clamp-on ammeter on the primary to compare
"non-trip" operating current peaks, with those peaks that trip the breaker.

You also mentioned noise. A bad breaker might make an audible buzz prior to
a nuisance trip.

In summary, you might have a bad breaker or a breaker that is not matched to
your needs.

You can test the breaker with a high current, current limited source. An AC
welder and an ammeter will give you a good indication of the breaker
tripping characteristics. I would first test the "long time" trip by quickly
running the current level up to 300% of the trip rating and hold it there.
If it tripped in ~ 30 to 60 seconds I would be happy. If it tripped
instantaneously, it might just be that it is an instantaneous only breaker.
To find the instantaneous trip point, pulse the current on and off as you
raise the value until the breaker trips. The peak hold ammeter function is
really needed for this test. Also remember that the reason for pulsing the
current (as opposed to ramping it up) is because the trip coil on an
instantaneous only breaker will overheat at steady state current levels well
below the trip point.

Hope this is helpful in some way,
73,
Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>