[Amps] 6M 8171

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 6M 8171
From: barrie at centric.net (Barrie Smith)
Date: Sun Apr 20 08:31:28 2003
Sometime ago, I bought an 8171 with socket, chimney and filament transformer
with the idea of building a 6M amplifier.  This project is not intended to
be for the greatest power output, but for an amplifier that would withstand
the strain of considerable EME operation. and be easily cooled with a QUIET
blower.

I've looked at the specs on the tube, and at various tetrode designs for 6
meter operation, and I'm completely stumped.

To start with (while I enjoy drilling, hammering, filing and soldering) I'm
the furthest thing from an amplifier designer.

The most significant problem is that the large input and output capacitances
are hard to deal with at 6M.  At least that is my conclusion.

A while ago, on this reflector, someone was dealing with a similar problem
(although not with the 8171), and suggested using the W6PO circuit, scaled
to 6M.

Could that be an option?  What are my options?

Thanks, Barrie, W7ALW