Fw: [Amps] Sweep tube conversion question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [Amps] Sweep tube conversion question
From: nospam4me at juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Wed May 28 09:31:41 2003
Hi Tom,
-
The most practical similar tube conversion would be to use
the EL-509/519 tube, obviously more available and probably
more rugged.
-
The EL-509/519 has been used in published Dentron
GLA-1000 amplifier conversions, FAR Circuits actually
has two PC board layouts for the conversion, one is a
very recent new rework with PC board mounted sockets.
-
No conversion text I've seen is complete... no one has
come up with a true tuned input values for the amplifier,
but broadband toroidal input matching is popular in a few
designs.  Some day I promise myself I'll actually figure
out the input impedance of the tube(s).
-
Be sure to download my Improved Dentron text off the
http://sonic.ucdavis.edu  Amateur Radio page....
which mentions the inclusion of standby cathode
current reduction. There are some updates to the
Dentron design which might be "ported" to the SBE
layout.
-
I've seen and have pictures of the GLA-1000 with
conversions to dual 4cx250b, a Russian "GU", the
EL-509/519 quartet and various other types.
-
The true practical limit is probably the power
supply. Most of the sweep tube layouts depend on
a measure of Peak Power as provided during low
duty cycle modes (SSB).
-
cheers
skipp