[Amps] Resonance in PiNetworks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Resonance in PiNetworks
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Tue Jun 3 08:32:51 2003
>Eric  said:
>
>>In the case of an amplifier with a PINET tank, the most important of such
>>quantities is the transmission coefficient of the network, which occurs at
>>thedominant resonance frequency.
>

>This must be somewhat dependent upon one's definition of resonance. I've
>always used the definition of the feed V and I being in phase (i.e. the
>input impedance is resistive) , which means of course that low Q L networks
>don't meet the definition of Xl=Xc: ... ... ...

** Good point, Peter.   If L-networks were resonant at the working freq.,
they would be a virtual short-circuit.  To do their job, XC must not =
XL.  A Pi-network is two L-networks in series.  The apples/oranges glitch
is trying to relate a Pi-network Z-transformer to a parallel-resonant L/C
"Tank" - with a link output - Z-transformer.

Rich, AG6K, 805-386-3734, www.vcnet.com/measures