[Amps] Re: 160M efficiency

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: 160M efficiency
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Tue Jun 3 19:31:40 2003
>I need a little help in understanding the entire picture correctly.
>
>I see that having additional bypass C at the plate choke base, would help
>prevent the power supply from becoming part of the tuned circuit.

**  The rub is that power supply components don't do well with RF.  The
antenna is probably a better place to put RF.

>Would
>additional L of the choke also be beneficial, as it would seem that less RF
>current would be lost through the bypass C at the choke base?

**  Current is not lost in a C or an L because only the voltage/current
phase relationship changes.  Additional L is beneficial in that it
reduces the level of RF in the HV-PS, however, the tradeoff is increased
chance of a HV-RFC choke fire on some operating freq.  Amplifier
engineering is a balancing act.

>Or, is that
>current insignificant? Or am I missing the entire plot?

**  I try to keep the AC max choke current at the lowest operating freq.
under 50%  of I-anode (DC)   This holds the HV bypass C current to
something that ordinary disc ceramic caps can handle, and it holds I^2 x
R loss in the choke wire to something semi-reasonable.

have phun, Jeff

To: <amps@contesting.com>