[Amps] XFMR Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] XFMR Wanted
From: Dennis12Amplify at aol.com (Dennis12Amplify@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jun 9 21:52:33 2003
Arne,

 I suggest that you go to a hamfest, or your local CB shop, and purchase a
DEAD CB amplifier made by D&A corp..

 It is my understanding that Delaney and Adams were 2 HAM operatrors out of
Scottsbluff Nebraska who often appeared in full page adds in Popular
Electronics, etc., promoting NRI training as examples of how successful some of
their
graduates had become.

 The transformers in the Maverick and Phantom series should work for you, but
they may only have a 120vac primary. (So just use two of them and put the
primaries in series across 240 VAC and parallel the secondaries, being careful
phase them properly)

 The Maverick had 2 of them and the Phantom had 3 of them and they were
almost always the heavy duty Stancor 'P' series which had center tapped 12vac
filament windings and center tapped high voltage windings that could produce
1200 VDC (depending on the caps, the filter, and the rectifier arrangement)
at 350ma. or better.

 The Maverick ran 8 sweep tubes and the Phantom ran 12 sweep tubes.

 The Phantom power supply, with it's three transformers, would be able to
hold 950VDC with a 1500ma. plate current drain from a 120VAC main supply.

 Since the sweep tubes cost so much these days, it's pretty easy to find dead
units in CB shops or at Hamfests that can be had for next to nothing, (I can
typically purchase a complete chassis less tubes for under $10), and they are
great for scrounging parts to fix those old tube HiFi and Guitar amps.

Regards,

Dennis O.