[Amps] electronic switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] electronic switching
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Sat Jun 21 09:43:26 2003

>I intend to do a PIN switch for my next amplifier. I managed to get some
>Unitrode diodes rated at 1.2kv and 1 amp - 10 wire ended and 10 stud mount
>with tape leads, all with a long trr so they are good for 160. However, I
>don't actually like operating QSK!

**  QSK-CW is even rarer these days than traditional CW.  For me. the
reason to use high-speed switching is SSB-VOX.  Those who talk
continously for 10-minutes are something to be avoided at all cost.

>Of course, switching the high voltage to
>reverse bias the PINs while providing 1 amp of DC for forward conduction is
>an interesting project in itself.

**  Quite  --  but optoisolators and 1500v transistors help.

> Although the probability of an infinite
>VSWR is probably low from the viewpoint of mis-tuning the tuner, an arc can
>cause a pretty near infinite VSWR, so you could get twice the normal
>transmission line voltage appearing.

**  especially if the arc is from a lightning strike.

Rich, AG6K, 805-386-3734, www.vcnet.com/measures