[Amps] Longetivity of 4CX250B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Longetivity of 4CX250B
From: sm0aom at telia.com (Karl-Arne Markström)
Date: Mon Jun 23 08:18:47 2003
Most interesting information.

>From my point of view, Steve/G8IZY appears to have had an amount of luck.

Having managed Telefunken 20 kW HF transmitters at work using
parallel 4CX250B's as drivers, the average filament hours we got
usually were around 2 years (16000 h) before stage gain decreased and IMD
increased to a point where the tubes had to be replaced (the PA servo tuning
required a quite high stage gain to
work properly). These transmitters were used for voice SSB services, with a VOX
relay reducing
plate current to about 5 % of the normal idling value. (for a photo, take a
look at the end of this page:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Hbusch/sdj.htm)

On the other hand, the filament hours obtained on 4CX250B's in the Standard
Radio ST1610 ship's
transmitters usually were less than 8000 when the transmitters were used for
automatic radiotelex service.
A lot of effort was spent to find the causes, and poor filament voltage
regulation together with long intervals
of stand-by without plate current was deemed to be the culprit.

However, it seems that some oxide cathode transmitting tubes can have
exceptional life spans
if properly handled. The otherwise infamous Eimac P290A comes to my mind
where a few tubes surviving "infant mortality" sometimes would perform
according to
specifications for more than 70000 h. It appears that filament regulation,
proper cooling
and flash-over current limiting can be of influence for prolonging the oxide
cathode life.

I would find it interesting to know the date code on the "retired" 4CX250B

73/

Karl-Arne Markstrom
SM0AOM