[Amps] 2500 uF at 450V DC for $10.00 each

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 2500 uF at 450V DC for $10.00 each
From: norsan at bright.net (Norman Hockler)
Date: Wed Jul 2 07:57:27 2003
All you need for plate filtering is about 20 uf or so.  Excess uf are
discharge current you
do not need.

The statement that "Joules are good if you are converting them to RF."
is not true when talking about tube flash over conditions (rockey point
effect).

As example ....  We need  1 amp of current to run our gadget and we are using
a car battery to supply the current.  The gadget works fine cause we have
the 1 amp
and the 12 volts... but our gadget shorts...we now have BIG amps to burn
things up.
The BIG amps is the same as the stored joules in the caps.

The series resistor will help... BUT it is my opinion that a wire fuse is
not fast
enough to save you from damage.

Will you blow things up every time.... probably not, but every time it happens
you stress components and then disaster.

The less the uf  (joules of stored energy)  the less strain on components
and therefor
the less chance of damage if you get a flashover.

Norm  N8NH