[Amps] connection of a Swan1200X

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] connection of a Swan1200X
From: nospam4me at juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Mon Jul 21 07:51:31 2003
Hello Mike,
-
You will probably notice a lack of replies regarding
questions for your Swan 1200x amplifier. It might be
said that many folks here consider the Swan and
similar type amplifiers desktop toys or junk. They
have a place when properly operated as a cost
effective mid size (power level) amplifier in SSB
operation.
-
The common methods to key the type of amplifier
you have are to ground the negative side of the
TR  relay which placed it in transmit mode. Few
amplifiers require you supply a positive keying
supply voltage to the relay.
-
A typical Amateur Radio will have a jack for
connections to external devices.  A few years
back, most of the typical connections were
contacts to a relay inside the radio. Key the
radio, the "loop" or normally open contacts
from the radios internal relay contacts were
closed.
-
We now have newer generation radios with
a mixed bag of external device interface
requirements.  After you locate the odd ball
plug that matches the proper radio interface
jack, you often are required to build or use
some type of small buffer (isolation) keying
circuit between the radio and the amplifier.
-
Many of the hams here "roll their own" but a
lot of the less technical folks will buy them
pre made. There are people on Ebay selling
Radio to Amplifier interface cable/circuit
interface assemblies, might be an option to
look at if you have a newer radio.
-
About your amplifier... there should be or
should have been a connection jack
(probably an RCA type jack) which has the
T/R relay negative return. When you ground
the jack center lead to ground, the amplifier
should go into transmit mode.  The red
wire you describe is a  wild card to me,
might be someone brought the relay
control jack connection out of the
amp.... or someone might have done a
mod for something else.
-
Carefully measure the voltage on the
wire with the amplifier on and in the ready
to transmit mode. If it turns out to be 12 to
18 volts dc, chances are it's the keying
return to the relay.  If you measure no voltage
on the wire, you'll need to figure out what the
mod is.
-
Diagrams for your amplifier are probably
on the http://bama.sbc.edu web site. You
are welcome to Email me direct if you have
more questions.
-
cheers
skipp