[Amps] Parallel Diodes

To: AMPS@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Parallel Diodes
From: Harold B Mandel <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:58:40 -0400
If memory serves me correctly, a Mr. Rich Measures wrote
an engineering article about the merits and pitfalls of parallel
diodes some years ago.

Power supply circuits of the '80's included a 470K, 5-watt,
1-percent, metal film resistor AND a 0.01uf mica capacitor
paralleling each diode device.

>From what I remember Mr. Measures spoke of potential
pitfalls surrounding transient pulse accumulated deterioration
and the ability to withstand high current inrush after such
deterioration, but it's been maybe fifteen years ago.........

My suggestion, based on having to design bulletproof power supply
systems for the telephone and wireless environment is to bite
the bullet and invest in a device over-rated for the service,
in terms of voltage and current. Ask what damage, and what costs
would be incurred should the marginal design fail and you will see the'
head-end investment is worthwhile.

Respectfully,

Hal
KA1XO/4