Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A

To: <k3air@stargate.net>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A
From: rlm <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 05:11:55 -0700

>Hi gang,
>
>I'm a newbie when it comes to working on amps and would like some
>suggestions/advice.  Here's the situation:
>
>I recently acquired an AL-80A which appears to be cosmetically good and
>complete.  When I fired it up, the plate and grid current appear to be
>fine.  However, the plate doesn't "dip"

?  when loaded properly, there is very little "dip" in a linear
amplifier's "plate'/anode current.

>and applying any significant drive
>to the amp results in "hissing" or "sparking" noises and of course zero
>power out.
>
>Any ideas as to what may be wrong and where to start?

?  For starters,  I would inspect the bandswitch and the Tune-C with a
dental mirror and a penlight, paying especially close attention to the
15m and 10m coil contacts, plus the 160m and 80m Tune-C padder contacts.
Arc marks on the variable Tune-C plates and/or toasted switch contacts
could be an indication of parasitic oscillation - or a very serious
fruit-fly infestation.  //  Parasitic-oscillation is due to the
tube's/tubes' not-insignificant internal feedback-C  (0.3pF for 2,
3-500Zs; 0.7pF for 1, 3CX1200A7).

have phun, Mike