[Amps] Soft 8877???

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Soft 8877???
From: "Paul Ash" <bluesdude@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:55:07 -0400
Hello All,

A quick newbie question.
I recently picked up an old Henry 3K X
that had sat unused for the last 17 years.
This is the version with the 8877.
This is my first 8877 based amp and I'm seeing
some odd behavior:

Max power out 700W. (from what I understand
I should be getting 3X that.)
Virtually no grid current.
Plate voltage looks ok, 4000V in SSB 3000V in CW mode. However, the output does
not change from one plate voltage to another. Just seems to hover around
500-700W. I have tried driving it to 900mA on the plate
and 400mA on the plate, observed some difference but
not much, maybe 25% difference.

Any ideas? At first I thought it might be the tuning circuits but I'm not sure.
Or, is it the tube? Seems to me that if I can pull 900mA through the plate then
the tube may not be bad...

73,

Paul N1PA