[Amps] AL-1200 Pop/Arching, 756 Pro II failure

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop/Arching, 756 Pro II failure
From: Dana Roode <K6NR@ARRL.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:40:48 -0700
A question for those with AL-1200 repair experience --

I bought a used AL-1200 amp a few months ago - it has a low serial number, 108, so I assume its pretty old. I have used it in several contests and it has been working well.

This weekend we were using it in the California QSO party when there was a loud pop and an arc visible from the side venting holes, perhaps near the filter capacitor and rectifier boards. The Icom 756 PRo II I was driving it with went south at the same time - no transmit power (received everything else was fine). The Pro II is headed back to Icom for repairs.

After the pop, we left the Al-1200 powered up and there was no smoke, smell or other obvious signs of failure. We switched in the backup radio, a IC756, but I didnt want to risk a second radio with the Amp and did not key it.

I took apart the Al-1200 and inspected it. I found 2-3 pieces of broken black plastic, as if from a diode or resister. However, when I inspected the rectifier and capacitor boards, I found no sign of a broken component. The pieces could have been from a previous failure, or who knows.

Any thoughts? I will likely continue my inspection and check some components but then I guess I will power it up and try it. However, I don't really want to risk another exciter. Hopefully my TS440 is less prone to ESD or whatever it was that crashed the IC756 Pro II.

Dana Roode, K6NR