Re: [Amps] Tuned Input and the MFJ-259B

To: Bill Smith <ko4nrbs@yahoo.com>,Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned Input and the MFJ-259B
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:32:52 -0700
Bill Smith wrote:
I am using a MFJ-259B to tune up my Tuned Input
circuits.  I know to go for 1:1 SWR or as close as I
can get it and 50 ohms of resistance(Rs).  How about
Xs?  What value am I shooting for?

You probably know this, but the correct way to do it is to temporarily put a non-inductive resistor equal to the input impedance of your tubes under operating conditions, and do the test with the amplifier powered off.

Then you look for an SWR of 1:1, which should occur when R=50 and X=0. That means that your tuned input circuit has transformed the input impedance to 50 ohms at the proper frequency.

The trick is finding out the value of the resistor that you need to do the test! Some data sheets show it and some don't. Calculating this value is a topic which has been discussed here and you can probably find it in the archives accessible on <http://www.contesting.com>.

Vic K2VCO