Re: [Amps] Tube Voltage ratings Question

To: "John" <hydroaction@cfl.rr.com>, AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Voltage ratings Question
From: rlm < <r@somis.org>>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:10:23 -0800

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 07:45 PM, John wrote:

I have a question to the tubers out there. What determines the Anode voltage rating on a tube ??

*** Tarot cards? Ouija board?
It's less than what burns holes in the anode using AØ emission, However, for SSB, a bit more potential can usually be used. For example, the 811A is rated at 1250V - but, as Art Collins realized, 1800V is ok for SSB as long as AØ is avoided. [can be avoided by tuning up with high-speed dits or a repetitive pulse] As a rule of thumb, for SSB. one can double the V-rating for AM. However, more V means more gain, and since every tube made has feedback-C, one should try to reduce VHF amplification in HF applications by lowering the parallel-equivalent R of the VHF suppressor in the anode circuit. The tradeoff of doing this is c, 2% less P-out at 28MHz.

later

For instance ....I have a amp with 3-500z in it.... the
space between the anode and grid wire cage is very small ...Yet is has a
high rating for maximum plate volts..... My SB-200 with 572B has a huge
space between the plate to grid....But it has a much less voltage rating of
2750 V ...I know current and anode dissipation play into this. But could the
572 B's run on higher voltage as long as the total plate dissipation is in
spec ?? because with all that space it looks like there would be no flash
over problems or is there more to it ???

thanks John,

Rich Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org/