Re: [Amps] FL-2100F/B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FL-2100F/B
From: "R_Davis" <WD8JJA@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:17:39 -0500
Okay guys, here it is, I finally got the time to dig into the amp.

I really couldn't "see" anything wrong with the grid resistors or
capacitors.  One of the 33 ohm grid resistors measured 32 ohms and the
other, 34 ohms. While I couldn't measure the capacitance of the capacitors,
they both showed the characteristic behavior of deflecting an ohm meter and
decaying as they charge when you reverse the ohm meter leads, etc.  (It's
hard to describe in words, but you all probably know what I mean.)
Well, I didn't see anything to convince me they were bad, but what the
hey -- I replaced the 1 watt resistors with 2 watters, and the grid
capacitors -- I didn't have any 220 pF, so I used 330s -- should be close
enough for now?
Also, since she was opened up, I went ahead and replaced the 2 decoupling
caps on the bias line, even though there was no indication physically or
electrically that there was anything wrong with them. But hey, for a few
cents worth of parts, it was worth a try.

Well, this made no difference.

Now what I DID see, is a slight discoloration of the Plate RF Choke.  About
midway, covering maybe 5 turns, about an eighth of the circumference. The
choke still ohms out at about 3 ohms and the Plate Voltage meter sets dead
on 2400 V.  I don't know if this is new, or if it was already there when I
bought the amp a couple years ago.

I DID discover, while playing with the variable bias resistor, that I had
adjusted it the wrong way when I first started having trouble.  Moving the
tap to the other end got the bias up to oh, I'd call it 78 mA (I'm
interpolating between the marks here) vs. the recommended 90.
So I can now drive the current to about 340 mA and the power output is up to
about 300 watts, dead key (with voltage droop) and peak with fast dits of
about 500 watts.
BTW, although I haven't tried it on 10 or 15 meters, it behaves the same way
on 20, 40, and 80.

What do you guys now think?
Does this sound like soft tubes?
This is the first amplifier I have ever messed with, at least in a
troubleshooting way. So I don't have a feel for what I am seeing. Is it time
to try a new set of tubes?

Is the discoloration of the plate RFC a problem?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rick, WD8JJA.