[Amps] inductive tuned output network

To: amps@contesting.com, wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Subject: [Amps] inductive tuned output network
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:05:36 -0700
I think it was you, Bill, who inquired Nov 4 about the use of inductive tuning in the Johnson amplifier above 14 MHz. I just received an old Eimac W6SAI Amateur Service Newsletter from July 1970 titled Inductively Tuned HF Tank Circuit. In it, the late Bill Orr talks about what to do when you reach the 'shadow region' where conventional lumped circuits don't work well, but stripline isn't feasible.

By removing the tuning capacitor, and only using a high Q inductor and output loading capacitor, he shows how to make it work in a dual 3-1000Z amplifier for 5 kW input from 27 - 54 MHz.

73
John
K5PRO