Re: [Amps] slow down circuits for 240v blower

To: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>,"Neil Carr G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] slow down circuits for 240v blower
From: "Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) G8TIC" <mike.tubby@thorcom.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:47:22 -0000
The trick that I use is a "motor run" capacitor in series - typical
values are 1-15uF 440VAC rated. You can use a single cap or
more than one if you want more than two speeds and switch
across them.

On one of my big amps I have an Airflow 45CTL with a 6u8
in series on receive, when on TX its shorted out by a relay operated
from the PTT line. The relay is controlled from a simple timing circuit
(FET/diode/capacitor/resistor) so that it remains on full power blow
for about 10s after PTT is released to remove most of the excess
heat from the 4CX1000A after which it drops back to a more
acceptable level for the shack (or tent, when contesting).

Mike G8TIC/M0VHF