Re: [Amps] Pin Diodes questions

To: "Victor Vickers" <vickers1002@charter.net>," AMPS" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pin Diodes questions
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 04:36:02 -0800

>Discussing Pin Diodes in RF amplifiers
>
>The problem of obtaining in my earlier post was for the Alpha 89 for a
>friend. I own one and a friend WW4US owns the failed unit.
>We were researching the problem this weekend before Crosslink opened.
>Since then Crosslink is shipping the needed KS1001 pin diodes.
>
>Please do not address some of the below suggestions about how it may be
>absurd. Be constructive.
>The suggestions have been listed as hams this weekend offered them up.
>
>New questions:
>
>*  What can one do to protect RF Amps using pin Diodes?

**  To protect PIN diodes from lightning, when finished operating, unplug
the feedline from the amplifier and toss it out the window on the ground.
 The feedline should not come within 10-ft of the house.,  [note -
"C"-type connectors are ideal for this because they are bayonet mount]

>         Suggestions and Solutions to date from on the air hams:
>           I. Addressing static discharge
>                    A .   Install High value resistor across amp output i.e.
300K

**  A 10M bleeder R on the antenna itself worked for me.

>                    B.    Provide a antenna with DC ground path. i.e. loop
antennas, dipole
>               with coaxial stub., and high impedance choke to antenna.

**  lightning is not just DC.

>                    C.    Alpha has a gas discharge arrestor right at the
>output connector. Is this adequate and
>               what level of static discharge protection does this provide?
>                    D.    Short coax to gnd after reconnecting to amp
>after being disconnected.
>           2. High SWR

**  keep plenty of spare PIN diodes on hand.

 .Good luck, Victor.