Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Questions
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@qsl.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:17:33 +0000
On Thursday 27 November 2003 06:26, R. Measures wrote:
snip

> >> **  When I see gold meltballs through a  microscope, I see no barium
> >> oxide or strontium oxide.
> >
> >I'd be surprised if it was there in large enough lumps to see.
>
> **  I can see their spherical shape only with 30 - 50 X magnification.
> Otherwise, they look like yellowish dust.  [see Fig 24 on my Web site].
> I can see the cathode coating, but none of it appears to be on the
> meltballs.
> --  ¿Why would strontium oxide and barium oxide be attracted to a
> positive charge.?

I think they don't need to be. If something delivers enough energy to spray
melted gold from the grid everywhere, I reckon that it's highly likely that
some cathode material gets sprayed around as well, onto the grid and
into/onto the gold balls. If I remember my valve theory correctly, that can
deliver the 'rectifier' effect and also account for the change in breakdown
voltage if the gold balls are dislodged.

> >Do you see the effect once the balls are out of the tube?
>
> **  I have no means of unsoldering the ceramic-metal seals in order to
> remove the contaminant.  The most successful thing I have tried so far is
> moving the gold meltballs down into the base by tapping.

Sorry - I meant do the gold balls themselves show a tendency to be attracted
to a +ve voltage when removed in the same way as when they are inside the
tube?

I've been trying with aluminium dust and 20kV, but I haven't yet seen any sign
of metal particles being attracted either way.

Steve