Re: [Amps] Big Solid State Power Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big Solid State Power Amplifiers
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@qsl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:54:19 +0000
On Sunday 14 December 2003 19:38, gw4dgu@blaenffos.org wrote:
> > It is a mistake to apply a commercial broadcast economic model to a ham
> > radio station.
>
> I don't disagree at all with this. The point I was trying - however
> ineptly - to make is that solid state technology requires a different
> approach to traditional tube design.
Is it all that different? Whatever the technology, different devices offer
benefits/disadvantages. The feedback systems are most easily applied round a
transmitter rather than an amplifier, and I'm not sure that it makes much
difference what the output stage is.

12V bipolars are undoubtedly poor in linearlty terms, but $/W for brute power
(at hf) is not so bad. In general the typical cw to pep derating for linear
operation with semiconductors is in the regions of 50%, the same as we apply
to a 4CX250, for example.

Steve