[Amps] 2500 W oil/water load ratings

To: wd7s@att.net, amps@contesting.com, brazos@rochester.rr.com
Subject: [Amps] 2500 W oil/water load ratings
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:04:05 -0700
Paul and John,
Thanks for juggling my brain. Yes, I stand corrected. I was thinking about the little Bird 1 kW water load, that is stricktly water cooled, by water flowing over and inside a single cermet resistor tube. They use that technology up into the 50 kW water loads as well, and Altronics makes it up to 200 kW. What i replied to was referring to those types of loads. The Bird 8230, now that I look in a Bird catalog, is just like the 1kW oil filled boxes except having the water tubing. Having oil immersion cooling does wonders for the load, as it has good heat transfer,and adds dielectric breakdown strength around the element inside.

As for the Bird 8141 250W oil filled load, I would agree that you could run it higher for a short time, but keep an eye on the temperature, add fans, watch the rubber bladder on the end. 1.5 kW is a big multiplier over the CW rating of that load.

I have two Altronics 200 kW film loads hooked up through a 3 dB hybrid power splitter at work, made from 6 1/8 line, for an upcoming test of new 500 kW tetrode power amplifier. It will be pulsed however, and average power is more like 70 kW. It would have been destructive to run a single load at that peak power, with 10% DF, according to discussions with the manufacturer. So i paralled them.

73 and happy holiday,
John
K5PRO

Hi John
Are we talking about the same type loads?  My 2500 watt load uses an oil
dielectric that is cooled with a water loop immersed in the oil.  It could
be a Bird 8230 but it's marked with a military number, it looks the same and
is rated the same, 200 watts without water and 2500 with circulation.  I
have run this load at 6KW SSB for short periods with no apparent damage.

I've haven't tried bacon but the spiders in the cooling fins leave in a
hurry!!
73, from rainy Oregon, Paul

PAUL HEWITT
WD7S PRODUCTIONS