Re: [Amps] Shelf life of 3CPX800A7 tubes

To: <KD7EFQ@aol.com>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shelf life of 3CPX800A7 tubes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:36:09 -0800
**  Spare tubes last indefinitely unless there is a micro-leak in a seal.
 If my amplifier used a tube that was still in production, I would not
keep a spare, and I do not.
--  Hazards to the 3cx800A7 are:
1.  Barium migration from the cathode's emissive-coating to the
gold-plated grid caused by too-much  heater-V. (symptom:  P-out drops
steadily during AØ)
2.  Cathode coating flakes off due to exceeding the anode-I rating. (can
cause grid-cathode shorts)
3.  Gold evaporates from grid during intermittent VHF/UHF oscillations
(causes internal leakage and/or anode-grid flashovers during operation -
also causes reduced emission due to gold meltballs sticking to cathode).