[Amps] Re: FW: How are IMds created

To: "Fazi, Christian (Civ, ARL/SEDD)" <cfazi@arl.army.mil>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: FW: How are IMds created
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:53:13 -0500
You are referring to models that are determined by empirical data. There you can't separate the effects of second order and third order distortion. The math ( I don't know if you looked at it or not) is simply an explanation how second and third order distortion effects contribute to harmonics, frequency mixing, intermodulation distortion and cross modulation in a 2-port device. This was for educational purposes (my classes) and not for the purposes of design ( however it could be in some cases). Up until almost 1920 radio engineers did not understand frequency mixing. I do recall Ramsey (not Norman Ramsey, but I always wondered if they were related) published a book on radio engineering in the 20's and explained that it was not a beating effect but the square law characteristic of tubes and diodes that produced frequency mixing.

The purpose of this is to explain how these effects are produced so that students will have a better understanding of of linear, well, mostly linear devices.

You observation of second harmonics being produced first before IMD is easily predicted due to the fact that the third order term has a smaller coefficient than the second order in the Taylor series that describes most non-linear devices. That does not mean that the second harmonic generated is mixed with the fundamental to produce the IMD products. If you had a device with out a second order term you would have IMD without producing any second harmonic energy(see math). However, such a device would be hard to come by.

The math speaks for itself. Unless you can find an error. As I said earlier that there are effects that can not be completely modeled mathematically although can sometimes be approximated using empirical data. One is reverse recovery time in a diode. A diode in conjunction with an inductor can be made to frequency divide,but it is a chaotic behavior and can't be modeled but can be somewhat predicted. The point at which this effect takes place changes depending on amplitude, frequency and the direction in frequency you may be sweeping. This example has been used often to demonstrate period doubling and bifurcation in chaotic system and an easy one to do in the physics lab. This takes a current sense resistor say 10 ohms, a 3 mh choke, a good slow 1N4004 diode and a signal generator that will go to a couple hundred KHz and provide up to 100 volts P-P voltage, An old HP400CD will work. Observe the current thru the resistor and voltage from the signal generator on two channels and sweep frequency slowly from low to high and see what you get. Not all 1N4004 diodes will exhibit this effect but it is interesting when you get it. Infact, this phenomenon presents problems in some high power switching motor controllers but was not understood until about 20 years ago.

I thought this would be relevant due to the fact that we are talking about tube linear amplifiers and perhaps some would like to know how IMD and Cross Modulation products are produced. Vacuum tubes are easily modeled in this way and the types of problems I mentioned above are not present. An cross modulation that is easily seen when expanding the third order term of the Taylor series. You can see some of the amplitude of one of the two signals imposed onto the amplitude of the other.

You had many references albeit one author many times. I used one ...ME! It is important that we use the tools we pick up along the way in a life long education process to discover for our selves why things are the way they are. That is what science is about and I hope even amateur radio. I am sorry if you can't appreciate the math and the explanation of why these effects exist in nearly linear devices, but I just can't do anything about that. I am sure that this analysis is nothing new. Surely many have done it in the past. And this analysis does not negate your observations or measurements either but should get you thinking of your conclusions and why the results turned out how they did. It is these smaller perturbations that make for interesting science. In fact perturbation theory has it own place in quantum mechanics.

I am waiting for response from some of those other individuals that asked for a copy. Especially those that appreciated the analysis. I mostly have received complaints (from two people) that did not.

73
Bill wa4lav