[Amps] tube blower time out

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] tube blower time out
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:19:29 -0700
Arne, Rich,
I would agree with Rich's statement with the caveat "for tubes with glass envelopes and smaller
ceramic metal tubes". However, Eimac tubes like 4CX3500A and up benefit from having a 15 - 30 second blower run out period cooling the base of the tube. ( From postings here, I believe that some amateurs - as well as commercial amplifier builders - use larger tubes too.)

Years ago at BE, we instrumented the filament stem of a 4CX20,000A/8990 in a 30 kW FM amplifier with thermocouple. When the power was switched off instantly along with air, the stem temperature remained high (sorry i don't have the quantities anymore). We designed all systems from then on with timers on the blower after filament off is done.

In all larger tubes with air cooling for the socket, I use longer periods of cooling. For the Thales TH555A for instance (ok it is a 250 kW tube), the manufacturer recommended 20 minutes. I compromised to 15 for convenience. It is painful to convince people to wait this long before opening up the amplifier, but tube life is worth $$. For the water cooled BJ1643J2 450 kW industrial triode, no need for cooling the base with air, as it has water tubing braised to the socket connectors!

To answer Arne though, I would just set up at 555 timer or perhaps a CMOS one shot multivibrator (see logic books) to time out, holding the relay on the blower closed for a period after shut down.

73
john
K5PRO