[Amps] Relay Keying on the Ameritron ALS-600

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Relay Keying on the Ameritron ALS-600
From: "Kevin Nathan" <k7rx@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:05:24 -0000
Hello All,

I am currently running an Icom IC-746 Pro and using that to drive an older
Ameritron ALS-600 solid state amp.  Until recently I couldn't use the amp on
the upper end of 160 where I meet with some friends because my auto tuner
wouldn't resonate the antenna there.  However, I recently bought a new tuner
which gives me a 1 to 1 match on 1963 where we meet and now want to use the
amp.  However, I am encountering a problem.  The amp seems to not be keying
as fast as the radio for some reason and I cannot really take part in a
conversation using it.  Here is how it is behaving.

If I key the radio with manual ptt and begin counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as soon
as I press the ptt switch, the stations on frequency do not hear anything at
all until the very last part of 2 (if they are close enough) and 3 for all
the rest who cannot hear my local signal.  If I do not have the amp in line
and make that same experiment with just the radio, all numbers can be heard.
I have tried eliminating the relay box between the Icom radio and the amp
and have also tried connecting the amp relay connection directly to the foot
switch I use to key the radio with the same result.  The only way I can make
it work correctly is to connect a cable directly to the relay connection on
the back of the amp, touch the bare ends together that I am holding in my
hand and then immediately key the vox of the Icom to do the count.  Then all
numbers are heard at full power.  Obviously, using vox on the radio with the
amp in line to take part in a round table is impossible with this kind of
problem.

when I called Ameritron this morning they told me they feel the relay in the
amp is not switching fast enough and thus the radio is seeing a high SWR and
cutting itself back drastically before recovering.  The only cure they
suggested was to open up the amp and bend the tab a little to make less
tension on the spring in the relay.  This seems like a somewhat Band-Aid
approach to me.  I would like to make a much more permanent fix if possible.

Has anyone on this list had similar problems and how did you cure them?  Is
it possible to fit a vacuum relay in the ALS-600 or are there very fast
relays out there which could replace the one in the amp?

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions you could give me on this
one.  Thanks very much and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX